Re: [Amc-list] Best Jeep Cherokee?

>The years I plug in are 92-4, 97-8, and 00 or 01 up?  Not sure I understood the problems with the later ones other than head cracking, but I'd think if they were going to do that, it would have already happened, yes?  Any other tidbits?

The crack-prone heads are the 0331 casting, which is (I think) from '99 on. Earlier H.O. heads are a bolt on to fix, the Renix-era heads are not. Aftermarket aluminum heads are now available for it. If I remember right, the crack tends to start between the 3 and 4 exhaust ports, and if present, might even be visible through the oil fill (if there's no sludge).

Advice I've heard is that as long as the 0331 head isn't overheated, you're probably OK, but once they get hot, problems start, and may take awhile to show up. Understand too that XJs can be chronic overheaters; there's little frontal area to use, plus the radiators are short and wide with long cores to collect sediment. Neglect this, and problems are likely to show up.

Hmmm, what else...

* Mid 90's engines were prone to piston slap; they sound like diesels at startup, but run fine.

* Check flexplate->converter bolts on an AW-4, they tend to work loose and rattle, cracking the plate, or just falling out and making a real mess.

* Don't use synthetics in an AW-4, they tend to work better with mineral-base Dexron.

* If you think you're going to drive in snow/ice for long stretches, some of them came with the differentially-bound NP242 transfer case, it's worth looking for if you think you might want 4WD on pavement sometimes. Most of them got the NP231, which shouldn't be used on pavement. Look at the t-case tag to identify, or if the shifter has a 4WD-full-time selection, then it's a 242.

* If you find a clean one with miles versus a not so clean one without, go for the high miler. They're Ramblers at heart, miles don't matter so much ;)

* Go read over at http://www.naxja.org, lots of info on their forum.

Good luck. My wife's '94 is our favorite car; fast, capable, attractive, economical, fun, and 180K miles young. I'd like to have another just for me...

-steve c.