Re: [Amc-list] Best Jeep Cherokee?

Jim,
   Ignore the scanner issue for OBD I as it is now a dead horse.
I bought an Actron CP950 kit a few months ago for $150 shipped.
It is a true scanner shows all values in realtime, turns off CEL light etc;
Wokrs on OBD II and OBD I except the early Import efi.

I have run scans on
98 Altima
91 Wrangler efi in the American
97 XJ Cherokee
04 WJ Grand Cherokee
I have not tested it on the 08 Altima to see if it still works ok on it.

 You won't get a straight OBD II only scanner much cheaper and this one fits the older stuff and who doesn't want to be able to check as much stuff as possible anyway?

I leaned him towards OBD I cause it is an easier system to work on for a "beginner".
  OBD II is more sopisticated and therefor has more items to fail.
The evaporative system is a PIA,as On my WJ it will set a light for "small leak", now if it knows it is a small leak why the hell do I need the light on for more than a minute to tell me it is there?  I get that "small leak" light about 2 times in the spring and 2 times in the fall, I have replaced tha gas cap etc; It is a very common condition, yet without the scanner I have to drive around wondering if something else has broken or is it that stupid "small leak" again!

Oh, good I'm rambling, means my morning dose has finally kicked in, YAY!
I'm not concerned enough about the CEL on my WJ to condemn it for it.
Seems to be a VERY common ODB II occurance.
I'm not dumping $100's into it trying to fix it.
With the scanner I just shut the light back off and go.

Oh, if your a doityerselfer, buy the scanner before you need it!
It comes ina nice plastic case all the cables labeled etc; You can even haul it around if you want.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>