Re: [Amc-list] Big 3

I am not a free market kind of guy in any way, shape or form. We just
need to look at child labor at the start of the last century, at coal
mining pre-union, and at manufacturing pre-union and pre-regulation.
Or look at the financial services markets now. Or look at lives saved
due to better brakes, seatbelts and crumple zones.

I think a nation needs to be able to provide food for itself through
farming, and provide tools through manufacturing. A mark of an
industrialized nation is it's ability to create tools - and we all
know what has happened to machine shops and tool and die shops.

If we bring it forward, a nation of information relies on it's
abilities to create advanced computers and programs. Where are
computers manufactured now? And where is the growth in programming?

We have let our information technology go. We have let our
manufacturing go. With that, we lose the ability to create new ideas -
as most ideas come from people trained and working in their respective
fields. That has gone overseas.

What do we specialize in? Where are we best? In creating junk food
chains and obese people. In creating consumers. I say the heck with
free markets. As a country we need to stand behind our technology and
our manufacturing as strategic assets - not as liabilities.

Who will pay taxes if there are no jobs? And how are we to believe the
myth of "idea workers"? Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to
be an idea worker. Some people need to work with their hands, some
people prefer to work with their hands. We shouldn't be so quick in
sending their jobs away as victims of free markets and globalization.

Bailing out GM, Chrysler and Ford is not bailing out anyone. It is
investing in our manufacturing and helping sustain jobs in difficult
financial times. I think loans to the big three is a lot cheaper than
welfare for GM, Ford and Chrysler workers and parts houses supporting
the big three. I am all for loaning money to the big three, with the
condition that more jobs are brought back to our shores.