[Amc-list] Hauled that Apache Eagle home!

[Amc-list] Hauled that Apache Eagle home!

My oldest son and I got up and out early on Saturday. Hit the road
around 5:20AM. Made pretty good time getting up towards Lebanon (kinda
near Nashville sorta). It rained the whole way up. Dark, rainy and
windy. It was really scenic as we got out of Chattanooga - just some
pretty country-side.

We made it up around 9:30 local time, 10:30 Eastern. The owner put it
up for us and showed us how it works. We did not set up the canvas as
it was cold and raining, and I didn't want to ge the canvas wet before
packing it. The previous owner stated that the zippers on the screens
needed work, but the canvas did not leak. He was a scoutmaster and
brought up two kids as Eagle scouts, so I can take him at his word.

We hooked it up to the Corolla and tested it on local roads. No
problems at all. Got out on the highway. Noticed it took a little
longer to get up to speed, but once we were rolling, we were good. The
trailer pulled well at 55, so we did 60. No problems at 60, we inched
up to 65. It pulled really well, even though it was wet, rainy and
windy.

The trailer weighs about 400 pounds, and the manual says it has about
a 40 pound tongue weight. Very nice and easy to tow. The only issue we
had was construction in Chattanooga on Route 24. All traffic was
diverted, and it took us over three hours to get out of there.

Now I have to get cracking on getting the Rambler American road-worthy
again, and working on the '66 Apache. It will be fun to go camping in
it. Camper is in the garage, Rambler got a car cover and is outside
for now.