Ralph Ausmann  -  Hillsboro, OR -

   From: Frank Swygert
  I had a discussion of motor vs. engine recently. In a small nutshell, an engine is mechanical, a motor is electrical, or converts a force to useable energy in other than mechanical means (I don't think there IS anything other than an electric motor that isn't mechanical, but then the rubber band of a toy airplane is the motor....). An internal combustion engine can be a motor, but an electric motor is never an engine. That's the one that's confusing! The engine sitting on a stand (test or rebuilding) is an engine, once it's installed in the car it's a motor, as it provides motive force to/for the vehicle. So technically the terms engine and motor can both be correctly applied to an automotive power plant.

  From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

  I'm trying to get that motor installed today. Hey, I just recalled the long discussion on the list about "motor" versus "engine" a few years ago.  No one seems to care now.  Maybe we grew up.
  --
  Frank Swygert