-------------
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:57:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" - the 4.0.  This engine was so good for its time that it survived the
" buyout and kept right on powering Jeeps through 2006 - twenty years
" after its basic development was completed.

not to mention it was a freshening of a design almost 25 years old
then.  imho a major reason engines like it and the ford 300 are gone
now is that as flat-tappet pushrod engines they inherently need
high-zinc oil and couldn't easily be reengineered for low zinc.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"