Re: [Amc-list] CHRYSLER SALE

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" ...  I hated to see all those NOS parts dumped, but
" you can't blame Chrysler for writing off what was basically non-
" moving inventory.  They got pennys on the dollar (of retail
" value), and some will say they could have sold them, but it would
" have taken a lot of time and effort to catalog and sell the
" parts.

they could've sold them the way they dumped them - job lot,
all-or-nothing.  i'll bet there are places that would've snapped 'em
up for scrap prices and done the cataloging themselves.

" I have to disagree on the engine Andrew.  It wouldn't be hard to
" retrofit the 4.0L with roller lifters, not when the main casting
" could be easily changed.  The only problem now is getting the
" lifters not to rotate.  If I had access to the engineering
" department I think I could come up with a cost effective way to
" do it!  Retrofitting an existing casting is a different story,
" though it has been done.  Need to modify a lifter and cross bar,
" but if I had resources to manufacture my own lifters...

the block could take a lot of work to get access to the lifters in the
gallery, but if they did that i'd've designed it to use la rollers and
retain them a similar way.  but first i'd want to do a stress analysis
on the outer wall of the lifter gallery and see what if any stresses
it carries in the engine, or if it's essentially just a protective
cover, before i went making holes in it.

afaik the only 'modern' straight six that could really easily be
converted to roller lifters is the chevy 194/215/230/250 and 292, with
those big bolt-on lifter gallery side covers, but it's been out of
production for vehicles iirc since '89.  it lasted maybe 10 years
longer for marine apps; iirc the 153/181 four is still going.