Re: [Amc-list] Chrysler sale

Joe <jgray_55@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>WHERE the heck did anyone pay $85 / hour????? I've never heard of even 1/3 that per hour for factory workers!

That was the figure I heard during some automaker hearings that were on C-Span.  Maybe someone was exxaggerating, but if they were, they don't seem to have been very far off the mark.  Figuring out labor costs is actually fairly simple.  Autoworkers get paid in both cash and benefits.  They even get paid if GM has to idle a plant and tell workers to stay home for a few weeks, just to stabilize inventory.

http://newsbusters.org/node/7344
http://www.workforce.com/section/00/article/24/96/64.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5375/is_/ai_n21293320
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11283371
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707220658

Keep in mind that when bean counters figure up how much labor costs, they have to count **everything*.  The $75-85 figure is what they refer to as the "all-in" rate, where **all** costs are included, including wages, pension, health care and all other costs for all employees and retirees.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/companies/pluggedin_taylor_ford.fortune/index.htm

>Indian cheif/ DR maybe.

Actually doctors don't really make that much any more.  A relative of mine who is an MD earns $175,000 and pays $90,000 to his malpractice insurance company.  Heck, most upper-level county government workers net more than he does.

>haha! Sorry...but i dislike  imports of any brand.

So do I.  I would much prefer to buy something built locally.  My 8-car AMC collection is living proof.  However, my family needed a new and reliable minivan.  My choice was to buy foreign or spend thousands more.  We bought foreign, kept our "thousands more", and part of the money saved went into a cheap used Ford pickup truck and a $3,000 paint job on one of my hobby cars.  Economics is all about tradeoffs.

>NOOO offence intended. I have several old AMC's/ a couple of Old Fords and i drive a  F150 and a  Mustang also. Wife has a Ford small SUV ans a 74 AMX.

Our Kia Sedona is the only car we have that isn't "American".  We have a '90 Ford Escort daily driver, a '90 Dodge Monaco (aka Eagle Premier with a Dodge badge) daily driver, a '90 Ford F-350 diesel 4 dr pickup, and a litany of AMCs.  Believe me, if buying an American vehicle for every function made any sense, we wouldn't have a Kia.

>WHY should they have moved factories?? THAT statement is kinda silly!! NO way could they build another factory AND make a profit..IFFF the standing factory was functional!

My point was that the automakers cannot reduce expenses at many of their existing plants.  If the workers in one area won't agree to accept wages that are competitive in a new global market, the job **will** go away.  Period.

No on 'owns' their job.  If you won't accept $10/hour to assemble an alternator, someone else in the world will.  To me, it would be better to make sure that someone is still here in the U.S, rather than in China.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/10/20/what-if-the-us-auto-makers-dont-survive/

Personally, if I knew my job was going to go away at $85 or even $45 per hour, but would likely stay around a lot longer at $20 per hour, I think I'd take the $20 per hour.

-- Marc