[Amc-list] Things to do with beer can cylinders

[Amc-list] Things to do with beer can cylinders

My drive to work is a great test bed for tweaks and changes since it's
so damn constant. I usually drive the American 60 - 65mph with dead-on
60mph the goal (probably 70% spent there) for 45 miles each way. I get
22mpg average (2008 calendar average). I tried to keep it above 10
inches on the vacuum guage.

This past week I decided to drop to 55 - 60mph, emphasis on 15 inches
vacuum.

Woo woo! 26 mpg! (280 miles, 10.7gal) OK so now I know how they ran the
Mobil Economy Runs. "Normal highways speeds" in 1960, not 2008... I'm on
4-lane LA freeways with V8 Lexi and buzzy Toyotas doing 80 in lane 1,
not the Lincoln Highway through Ohio. We'll see if this is a new
constant or if it's a fluke.

My tach says that's 2200 rpm, but it lies (idle=1000, no way). I like it
anyways, it came with the Navarro junk, so I cut it some slack.
Spreadsheet says 1900 - 2000, 55 - 58mph. In any case, the motor is
QUITE happy doing this, though it's been fine at 65, even 70, for long
stretches.

Funny, I swear, two years ago driving 55 in even lane 3 woulda got me
killed. These days, there's a lot of people cruising just under 60... I
wonder what a Honda Fit gets if you do that?