Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole

I also have my '86 Comanche (first one I bought in '99 and took to Ouray in '02 after spending a day converting it to 4x4 with my sons) that is 2.5L/AX5. (till I finish the reassembly of the replacement motor. Old one made 300,000 miles before I gave it to one of my sons to rebuild for his own MJ in Canada)
   Too bad no-one near me in Seattle has a car like the one in question with a motor out I can do some quick measurements. I have a little practice at making stuff like this work. (Today I was helping my buddy Brian with the '63 Scout he just bought with a 250 Ford swapped in)

From: Tom Jennings
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

Jim Blair wrote:
> Tom, I just happen to have an AMC 2.5L from my son's '88 MJ along
> with the carb and intake from his girlfriend's '85 Cherokee and 2wd
> AX-5. Any measurements you need?

Wow, thanks! I'm not really sure where to start -- I'm fairly sure
length (front to rear) isn't a problem, but side to side, oil pan hump,
exhaust outlet, radiator hose connections, all that rot.

The little American is ... little! You'd have a hard time believing just
how small the motor hole is. It's REALLY small, like 20-something inches
wide.

(THe whole car is small; with my hands fully on the steering wheel, my
fingers lay on the dashboard. It's well laid out, but it's small.)

The 195.6, from the "flat" of the side of the head where the exhaust
manifold is, to the sheet metal of the inner fender, is like 6".

I think I need to do a quick "survey" to figure out what measurements
are needed! A cardboard mockup engine would be really nice to have or
make. (VintageAir sells cardboard mockups of their built-in AC/heater
units, it's a great idea).

Thanks for the offer though, I might bug you later after I know what
questions to ask!