Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole

The metric pistons were a re-design with embedded skirts (silicon) to cut down piston slap.

From: Tom Jennings
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> That's my plan, I also found out last night I got better deal than I
> thought. Since these are the non metric ring pistons the rings are
> half the cost of the metric ringed versions, like $39.99 compared to
> $80! They have a racket going. Metric pistons are $20 each, rings are
> $80 a set. Standard ring pistons r $29.99ea rings are $39.99. What a
> rip as you know the pistons are cut from the same molds!

Metric pistons? First I ever heard of this? Are these 4.0 pistons, is
this some early-AMC vs.late-Chrysler marketing crap?

> It's on the bench, I need to stick the tailhousing on it and measure
> it. I will do so shortley. I saw at one time a web page that listed
> all th eshifter placements, all Of them!

I found a lot of trans dimensions, but oddly, the one that would be a
'deal killer' (shifter under the dash? in the middle of the seat?) is
never listed!

Yeah, I occasionally look at ePay but was puzzled why the
non-needle-bearing trannies go for the same as the WC? I am in SoCal,
I'll likely find one locally anyways.