Re: [Amc-list] Carb adjustments - Holley 1909 one barrel

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> My thought..
> On the fuel pump, is it possible it is drawing oil into the fuel?

Oh yeah, if the diaphragm is bad it could, but the volume of oil would
be fairly low as there's a slidey seal. I can't clearly picture the
innards in my head though...

It should also leak fuel into the oil when sitting. But he has a new
pump so seems less likely, but who knows? Could explain a sooty plug and
smoke!

New gasoline evaporates to NO residue. Bruce, if you get 50mL or so of
gas, put it into a spotlessly clean jar, put a strip of clean white
paper sticking out, and evaporate it. This will be half-assed
chromatography! If there's oil in the gas you'll see a lines like growth
rings in a tree. It won't tell you what the stuff is, but oil on paper
is easily identified.

I'd check for wet carb etc first though just to be lazy!