Re: [Amc-list] BlowBy and GloveBoxLatch

" From: Richard Estermyer <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" This is big.  The 80 Concord wagon 6cyl runs great, has always had blowby happening.  Now that I am driving 27 miles each way to work on the x-way, it is blowing a quart or more a week.
" This is caused by rings being worn right?  And rings cannot be done without pulling the motor right?
" Any suggestions?  It does run excellent and when driving around town will not use any oil between changes and stays fairly clean oil for 2,000 miles or so.  I hate to touch it, but may have to before I oil slick everywhere I go and the EPA steps in.

it can also be caused by plugged crankcase ventilation.  jeep 4.0s are
notorious for this, and many have changed hands thinking rings were
needed when an under-$10 hose - or just a good cleaning of the old one
- was all that it took.  check your pcv valve and associated plumbing.

" I have heard that the 304 will bolt to this trans and just need cross member set up.  How about wiring differences in 6 to V8?  Also, 4cyl swap, need the trans too or will that adapt to my current trans.  While I'm at it, how do you tell the difference between the AMC transmissions used?

automatic?  the 4-cyl case is different from the 6.

6 and v8 do have the same bolt pattern and the tf904 is probably
strong enough since you're an easygoing driver.  i can't speak to
wiring issues.

while you're contemplating engine swaps, how about a 4.0?  i'd take
one from a '90s wrangler with auto, and get the tranny with it - the
tf999/32rh/32re is a little beefier than the 904, and the 32re is
ecm-controlled.  swap your 2wd tf904 tailshaft onto it and drop the
engine and tranny onto your present mounts.  excellent efficiency and
mileage with power on par with the v8.

if you have a stick, both 4s and 6s used the same sr4/t4/t5, only with
different bells.  a 304 would again bolt to the 6 bell, but the amc
trannies are definitely not up to v8 power.  they tried the sr4 in the
'78 [?] spirit amx v8 but afaik it is not thought of as a robust
combination.