Re: [Amc-list] Adding up the receipts, ouch!

Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Okay, so my wife left her job. Was feeling devalued. I can understand
> not being able to work in a situation like that.

Yeah, tough time to quit, but yeh that's depressing and demoralizing.
Probably a good decision.

 > And figure if the oil under the car
> is from the access plates or from the main seal. urgh. Access plates I
> can fix (I already used Right Stuff, maybe not enough?). Main seal
> would be a different matter.

Have you taken it to a car wash and really scrubbed the motor and trans
and chassis? It's a real lifesaver trying to find leaks. Be prepared to
pop the distributor cap off and dry it out before you leave! Minor
problem though.

Then you can SEE drips and leaks...

 > Clutch needs work - but does
> work okay as long as I stay out of stop and go traffic. Transmission
> synchros are going, but I'm doing okay trying to match revs with speed
> by ear. Car leaks when it rains, but I can use goo in a tube or
> replace the rubber, or keep the car in the garage.

Welcome to the world of old cars :-)

THe clutch will simply deteriorate, slowly, and not harm anything else
up to the point where it's metal on metal, but the loud noises will
probably alert you to that before harm is done!

The trans, keep it full of oil, double-clutch, and it too will simply
deteriorate slowly, up til the leaks make you nuts :-)

All my cars leak :-(

As Eddie Stakes says in another context, 'shut up and drive'! (Not meant
as insult of course, means -- enjoy it!)

> Anyway - if you decide to track your expenses in a personal finance
> package, you might be surprised.

Oh Bruce you have to stop punishing yourself! Too much reality is not a
good thing!

> I just keep telling myself that the
> American is cooler than a used generic-mobile, and it will cost as
> much to get it in good running condition.

Actually this is true -- once you get the car 'over the hump' of
deferred maintenance, and then stay on top of it, it  will be cheaper
(and funner). My 63 Classic is in that state -- drive cross the country
at any time! Things are wearing, but I know what they are. That took a
while to get to that state. I hope to do the same to the AMerican.