[Amc-list] Sagging headliner (was Re: Adding up the receipts, ouch!)

[Amc-list] Sagging headliner (was Re: Adding up the receipts, ouch!)

Bruce,

First off, I make it a point not to look at how much I've spent. For me,
the old cars are a good stress relief so I figure they are cheaper than
a therapist and easier to deal with than kids or spouses. Nobody ever
complains when you lock a car in the garage after it's driven you crazy
but they get all touchy when you do that with kids.

Anywho, the headliner has foam pads (they look a lot like carpet
padding) between it and the roof that deteriorate with age. The fix is
to replace the pads. In the mean time, you may want to pull the
headliner out until you can fix it. Remove the dome light, sun visors,
rear view mirror, and the front and rear windshield moldings. Once those
are out, push up on the sides of the headliner until it clears the side
channels. If the foam has completely let go, the headliner will drop
down. If not, you'll need to very carefully scrape between the pad and
the roof. As long as your car hasn't been smoked in a lot, the headliner
will still be fairly flexible so you should be able to get it out
through a door.

Matt

On 10/12/2008 2:45 PM, Bruce Griffis spouted this sage advice:
<snip>
> Those little expenses sure do add up quickly! And forget about the big
> ones. So, dollars figured out - I need to decide about replacing the
> windshield and back glass gaskets, the windlace, the rubber around the
> doors, hood and trunk, figure an estimate on front-end work and
> mig-welding a replacement patch in the trunk, figure out how to take
> care of the sagging headliner and sunvisors and messed up armrests.
> And the clutch and transmission. And figure if the oil under the car
> is from the access plates or from the main seal. urgh. Access plates I
> can fix (I already used Right Stuff, maybe not enough?). Main seal
> would be a different matter.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com