Re: [Amc-list] Points

gorhodes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Ok today I put in new points and condenser.When I got done there is now  a miss.There is  screw and a black insulator that goes from pionts to coil.The screw was stripped so i ground down insulator to make more room for screw threads.Is this the problem?Thanks for any info.

Hard to picture what you've got from your description, but my guess is,
your feeling that there's a problem there is probably correct.

Points ignitions can work fine, but it iwll be utterly unreliable if you
have stripped screws and such. Connections need to be tight and unambiguous.

If the hole in the breaker plate that the points screw to is stripped
out, you'll have nothing but trouble until you get that distributor out
and fixed. Could be easy if you're enterprising...

If ANY of the wires are loose (can be wiggled) it's no good. Includes
coil posts too.

After 50 years, pretty much anything wears out. You may need a
replacemnet part or two to make it reliable.

What engine do you have?