[Amc-list] Replacing dashboard light?

What car?
If it is a late American:

The back up lights never go into the instrument cluster, it is a separate switch on the steering column. Sometimes it is out of adjustment or the plastic tab that goes into the column breaks off.

The dashboard lights on mine are three or four bulbs in sockets that press against the printed circuit that get corroded one at a time and some cleaning or even jiggling fixes it.
If all dash lights are bad at once, suspect the headlight switch.  On mine, rotating the knob dims and brightens the dash lights through a rheostat (coil of resistance wire) inside the headlight switch.  This can develop a bad spot of corrosion which some cleaning might help.