From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Strut rod eliminators

> Armand, Tom and I actually DRIVE our AMCs on a pretty regular basis, so we
have more opportunity to hit things! Our cars aren't babied as much as most
AMCS. I have roughly 1/8 mile of dirt road between my house and the highway,
it's NOT a smooth road (though not bad...). Lots of secondary roads out here
in the country too, and they aren't always maintained so well. You have a
pampered Javelin! Don't be offended by that, most AMCs are a bit pampered
now, though there are still a lot of drivers out there. I pamper mine a bit
more now that I don't have to drive it as much.

> There shouldn't be a concern about the strut rod and control arms taking
the pressure from the stiffer poly bushings. I can, however, offer a
suggestion to improve it -- replace the back side of the poly bushings with
a stock rubber bushing. You can get one bushing set and use a half on each
side. This gives you the benefit of the stiffer polys (more precise
geometry/steering) while maintaining better flexibility. You're not so
worried about precise steering backing up! The car should ride better as the
suspension can react a little faster also. Poly strut rod bushings front and
back really stiffen the suspension up.

> You're 100% on bump steer! On an unmodified car there should be no
problems with the geometry.