Re: [Amc-list] 64 Classic Rear Brakes

There is sometimes a difference between what the parts book and/or
service manual says your car should have and what it actually has. Both
were wrong on my 67 American.

Wagner type brakes use rods for the self adjusters and have an angled
flat on the top of the shoes. It is difficult to find hardware for these
types of brakes but check out the 1967 American section of my site for
sources.

Bendix duo-servo brakes have cables for the self adjusters and C shaped
shoe ends.

There is also a type of brake called Bendix non-servo which were used on
early disc brake cars. I think these also use rods but instead of a jack
screw for self-adjustment, they have a ratcheting device.

With the exception of drums, parts do not interchange between these
brake types.

Matt

On 9/26/2008 2:14 PM, Tom Jennings spouted this sage advice:
> KENT ANDERSON wrote:
>> I just took the drum off the right rear of my Typhoon to work it up and refresh everything.  I thought things looked a bit unusual.
>
> Sounds like a mess!
>
> It's not hard to get it right, but it will take some time to scrounge up
> the parts.
>
> This incomplete project has some data for you:
>
> http://wps.com/AMC/AMC-brakes.html
>
> The table is ugly. The left side is TSM data. The right side is
> aftermarket data, but instead of the part number, it'll have a code like
> "D2". There is a LEGEND that says what D2 is. You'll note that D2 is a
> common drum for many years of AMC...
>

> I don't have 1964 data! But I have 63 and 65 and those are the same so
> likely 64 is too... The brand used depended on the engine in the car
> (but we've all seen variations).
>
> It's easy to identify wagner vs bendix, BUT I CAN'T RECALL WHICH IS
> WHICH!! Someone here knows... I can eyeball 'em but I can't remember B
> vs W...
>
> * One brand has "C" shaped ears at the top of the brake shoe where it
> fits over the post.
>
> * One brand has an angled flat at the top end of the brake shoe.
>
> * One brand uses the braided stainless cable and guide that lives under
> the trailing shoe.
>
> * One brand uses the two little wire rods and bellcrank that bolts onto
> the trailing shoe.
>
> RockAuto and others will sell you bags of hardware (clips, springs, etc)
> that you should get every 5, 10 years regardless. Totally worth it.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon