Re: [Amc-list] Moates' APU1 "AutoPROM" system.... for OBD1

Sandwich Maker wrote:

> obdI?  i thought these systems were all based off '80s gm ecms, which
> would be pre-obd-anything.  were they still doing tbi in the '90s?

ALDL connector and all. GM ECM 1227747. They're really common, but I
have no idea what the application is other than "1987-1991 GM 4.3L small
pickup". (My problem is, I do not exaggerate when I say I have NO, ZERO
knowledge of car models after like 1970; so when I go to RockAuto and
see 10, 20, 30 different models under "GMC", I have no idea what's what.)

1227747 is around $60, $70 new, for comparison. They're spectacularly
well known inside, schematics, software, etc. Unbelievably hackable, if
you're a electronics geek or not.

There's not that many sensors, and most of them do straightforward
things and are easy enough to test.

> i agree this is a good approach, and on the 199/232/258 one could even
> add an ecm-controlled hei dist.

Exactly...! The beauty is that you can do it incrementally.

I'm taking notes. I have one immediate project: tune up the classic
wagon's Howell'ed 232. Then I wanna put the same setup on the 195.6OHV
American using junkyard parts (Rambler Mentality), then the 70 Hornet
(258), which, ironically, the Howell kit would have bolted on directly
and been pretty close to the correct application, but it's the car I
drive the least and ought to sell.

Last, I wanna know about EFI for when I build that Navarro head with
port injection. That's gonna be 100% custom since it's such a weird
manifold. That's a ways off it seems.