Re: [Amc-list] 1966 Classic wagon NEED parts soon. Just got it

Re: [Amc-list] 1966 Classic wagon NEED parts soon. Just got it

Joe,

You may want to remove the light assemblies from the car and see if you
can free up the contacts in the socket. The socket is a light press fit
in the reflector and you can get them out with some patience and a
couple of screw drivers. Besides corrosion, the wires also need to slide
some on the grommet covering the socket and its very likely that its
really hard and will not let the wires move.

I don't know if you can find that style of socket anymore or not but the
worst likely damage to them is the springs under the terminals are bad.
You should be able to dig up some low tension springs that fit (actually
  the springs in the click type ball point pens is probably close).
Also, Americans from 1964 on use very similar turn signal and backup
light assemblies. The parts books list several different assemblies but
from what I can tell, the only difference is the length of the wiring on
the sockets. BTW, get new gaskets for the lenses which will help keep
them from corroding and make sure you wear gloves when you put the bulbs
in. I've gotten a couple of nasty finger tip slices (really sucks when
you program computers for a living) changing those bulbs.

I just checked Kennedy American's web site and they have a lot of tail
light parts listed for your car. For any light gaskets they don't have
(the NOS ones with the lenses will likely be bad), Detroit Muscle
Technologies can make new ones. They recently did some stuff for one of
my American's and they do nice work.

Matt

On 8/22/2008 3:40 AM, Joe spouted this sage advice:
> HI guys. I just brought a 66 Classic Cross Country wagon home tonight. Only 67,xxx miles. It's a bare bones car. No frills at all!It does have an auto trasns. Nop radio, no ps/pb..nothing. I need front turn/park housings/sockets..also a right side tail light housing/socket  assy. Tail light chrome bezels..etc. WHAT do you have to do to swap bulbs in the weird cockeyed angled front sockets?? Can get the bulb in...but cannot turn it at that weird angle. The sockets are VERY corroded. Only have one rear light/no front signals..etc. Would like a rust free tail gate also. ANY parts  good used/nos please get in touch. I want to take it to Cordova to NAMDRA's 30th Nationals. My wife's 74 AMX is still apart. My NICE Gremlin is apart also(swapping to very built 401 power). Need to get the Family truckster going!! Remember the Chevy Chase Vacation movie? Thanks alot,Joe

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon