Re: [Amc-list] FOR SALE: 6 cyl L-head & Trans

Don't worry about the trans flange unless it's pre 62. 61 and earlier use a cast iron center section, 62 was the first of the aluminum trannys, and I know for sure they use the same flange as manual cars -- I've swapped 63 models between auto and manual. I'm not sure if the  57-61 Borg-Warner used that "volcano" crankshaft or not, but I don't think so. Pre 57 Ramblers used the GM Dual-Range Hydramatic -- that uses the special crank. As far as I know ALL the Borg-Warner autos use a flat flange crank, same as the manual trans.

----------------
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:32:20 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

> > Tech q: I have a 65 American with 232/AT.  Will the trans from the flattie bolt up to the 232?  I really... really prefer to stir my gears by hand.

It should be 100% interchangeable, manual to auto, and 195.6 to 232.

HOWEVER there was a funny 195.6 automatic trans crankshaft in some
years. The 232, and manual 195.6's, the crank flange is mainly flat on
the end, with a recess in the center; but the funny 195.6 auto butt has
a large raised volcano in the center. It sticks up a good inch, and is
rough-cast around the volcano slope and machined in the top for the bushing.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"