Re: [Amc-list] 258 Exhaust/muffler sizes

M Walter wrote:
> Hello, I am building a performance 258 for my american. I am trying to gather all necessary parts before taking out the old drive train, which is a 196ohv. I have nearly all of the big stuff; a 1972 258 block milled.010, bored .050, 4.0 rods, buick 3.8L recessed pistons(to match comp. height), moly(top) rings, head milled .060(it had a thin steel gasket), mild port and polish, hardened exhaust seats, stock size SI undercut stem valves, small(411/413) crower cam,springs,and retianers, '83 intake/exhaust manifolds, autolite 2150 1.21 carb.  I've also got a t5 and a ranger 3.55 rear end. I Know there is a lot more stuff I need like a distributor and such. But what I would would like to know is what is the stock exhaust/muffler size of the 258. I'd like to go a little larger, but it has to be quiet or  really mellow. All comments or advice would be appreciated.      THANK YOU,  Matthew Walter

Sounds like a very nice setup!!! That ought to go like hell and still
get good mileage.

(Weird coincidence, I JUSt read your 'buick piston' thing, after I
posted about them. Do you have more modern part numbers? Can you tell us
more about how they were made to fit and all that?)

2" tailpipe coming down from the cone flange on the 81? 83? exhaust -- I
just measured it yesterday, oddly enough.

Holy crap! man, I wanna see pictures. Got any?