Re: [Amc-list] FOR SALE: 6 cyl L-head & Trans

Archimedes wrote:

> Tech q: I have a 65 American with 232/AT.  Will the trans from the flattie bolt up to the 232?  I really... really prefer to stir my gears by hand.

It should be 100% interchangeable, manual to auto, and 195.6 to 232.

HOWEVER there was a funny 195.6 automatic trans crankshaft in some
years. The 232, and manual 195.6's, the crank flange is mainly flat on
the end, with a recess in the center; but the funny 195.6 auto butt has
a large raised volcano in the center. It sticks up a good inch, and is
rough-cast around the volcano slope and machined in the top for the bushing.

The 232 style has the pilot bushing flush with or recessed relative to
the flange (goign from memory). The old auto style has the bushing
subtantially rearward.