Re: [Amc-list] Rambler six comma fast

In order to get the best transmission options you definitely want a 72+
block! Of course I think you can bolt an iron BW (M-11/12) to the
air-cooled (M-35/37) bell housing if you wanted to. A T-96 sure wouldn't
last long! That's one six I'd consider bolting a 727 to, but a 2WD 998
(used behind 304s, or use the output of a 904 on an Eagle/Jeep 998)
should be sufficient since you're not doing 25 pounds of boost and over
6K rpm. A 72-mid 80 block (cast iron intake) would be best as they are
slightly heavier than mid 80+ (aluminum intake). Lucky for you the bore
is the same for the 199/232/258, and the manual trans crank flanges are
the same. There's a bolt on adapter for the TF trannys, but the adapter
that requires machining is the best to use. The strictly bolt-on one
that needs no machining has a 1/4" spacer between the bell and engine.
------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:37:41 -0700 From: Tom
Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> For me, I'm gonna build a stock 199 bottom end
-- new or old pattern block is still TBD -- and put the radical head on
it. It's got massive porting and polishing, big valves, custom cast
turbo manifold ready-to-go. Yeah 4.0 EFI is "better" but no way it'll
look as cool as this setup!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"