Re: [Amc-list] overheating, and Smokey Yunick

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
>> so why haven't we seen more turbos before?  i'd guess economics.
> turbos are precision high-speed devices; first it took industrial
> infrastructure to build volume and drive costs down, then it took
> rising fuel costs...

If you think back to the first attempt at turbos in general use you notice that except for a few very well done fast cars a lot of them were dismal failures!
   Mostly due to people not knowing how to shut one down and cooking the turbo or drivaeability issues the efi systems of the day could not cope with.
   I remember Nissans attemps and they were fast fun cars, but kind of scary. If you goosed them into boost and them someone pulled out in front of you, well, you were in trouble! They would not stop till the boost pressure beld off!  Plus lots of lag, etc;
   Buick hit a homerun with the Grand national and there were some others too.
But for general poplution they were just not ready!
  Know the people that gravitat toward them are slow rpm diesel owners and kids who for the most part seem to be pretty good at understanding the issues.
  I'm pretty sure that on the dealership side there are still some real good stories about smoked turbos and turbo motors.
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV