Re: [Amc-list] 1967 232 six with 122K miles- grade of oil?

Re: [Amc-list] 1967 232 six with 122K miles- grade of oil?

" From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" But that valve job might not be cheap. I'm looking at appr. $470 to
" mill the head, do a valve job and install hardened seats. I need to
" pick up 6 intake and 1 exhaust valve as well. Probably be about $650
" or so.

it's probably relatively cheap to do while the head's apart, but you
probably don't -need- to put those hardened seats in.  only if you
anticipate running the engine hard - trailer towing, mountain driving,
etc - would they be necessary.

" Hey, can I go synthetic now? Or since I haven't changed the main seal
" and the oil pan seal, should I still stick to dino oil?

probably you can.  i'd run something like 'gunk' brand motor flush
through the oil system, maybe more than once, to try and clean any
deposits out before switching.  and use a top-quality filter like wix
['napa gold'].