Re: [Amc-list] cheap brake conversion

Frank Swygert wrote:
> If you want to keep drum brakes get 9" drums from a Classic with six. They are 1/2" wider and have 1/8" larger wheel cylinders in front. I used 64 Classic front drums on a 61 American as my first ever brake upgrade and you'd have thought it had discs up front -- the improvement was easily noticed!
>
> 58-63 Americans have 9"x2" drums, 139.5 sq.in. braking area, 1" wheel cylinders.
>
> 62-66 Classic six has 9"x2.5" drums, 153.76 sq.in. braking area, 1.125" wheel cylinders. Also used on 67-69 Rebel and Javelin six, 65-66 American w/232, 67-69 American six, 70-75 Hornet/Gremlin (with slightly more braking area, 158.xx sq.in.).

I can attest to all that. I used Gremlin brakes, but same difference. I
still wanna do the 10" drums up front but that's for k00l factor (read:
bad reason) but if you gotta buy new parts, discs are cheaper!

I have to get around to selling my Hornet, then I might buy a Mustang GT
parts set and make my own Stohler adapter.

That little lower A-arm system on the early Americans -- how strong is
it?! I mean, with 8" of modern rubber tread and huge-a** brakes, could I
stress it harmfully? 9x2 drums with skinny old pencil eraser 1960's
tires aren't exactly like a cogged railway.