Re: [Amc-list] 232 combustion chamber

Bruce Hevner wrote:
> Smokey Yunick did some testing on squish. Closer the better, general rule is
> minimum .035, 6000 or less and steel rods (I have run some as low as .030,
> less than 5000 street motor). Advantages go away quickly with more than
> .060. Add more for Aluminum rods (about .020 or more if I remember right) or
> higher RPM (.040).

Yeah, I jumped too quick on that other head... it was so tempting!

I don't know if it would harm the block, but lopping off that .080 so
that the flat top 199 pistons came up to the top of the block, then the
gasket would set squish space depth. Since few AMC sixes rev over 6000
the 0.40 squish shoudl be enough to cover heat, stretch and piston
rocking. THEN the close six head would be nice.

But this will remain a stock rebuild. If I were to choose a motor to
build for power I'd go get a 4.0.

>  Too bad he's not around today to test the "grooving" THEORY. I call it
> theory because I have YET to see any back to back dyno tests from an
> independent source to validate some of the WILD claims I have seen for it.

I'd like to see that too. Shouldn't be hard to test.

I used to have a sub to CIRCLE TRACK largely because of that grouchy
SOB. Man, the stories of his "cheats" alone was worth it... :-)