Re: [Amc-list] SCORE!!! (i think??....) -- 58-63 American front end

Frank Swygert wrote:

> The early trunnions don't use bushings,

My bad -- I forgot about the 64-up American/AMX trunnion setup. The
bushings I was referring to are the inner, arm press-in bushings.

> The thrust bearing is no longer available,

Yeah but the larger OD replacements available from the AMC suppliers
works fine. It's really true -- only the outer dust shield is too large;
it dings on the arms when installed but otherwise does no harm, doesn't
touch the rollers or balls.

So except for the oddball trunnion bits, this suspension is EASIER to
rebuild, and cheaper, than the later cars. I'm quite confident that now
that I have the trunnions in good order, I could keep them that way for
another 50 years. Really.

My Classic's got it's original trunnions still, at 350K miles, and
really, no signs of wear. I grease annually or twice annually. Grease is
cheaper than parts and the eyeball time doesn't hurt.