Re: [Amc-list] intake ports, was exhaust tuning

Sandwich Maker wrote:

> how about leaving the trough as a mounting surface?  the ports are
> pretty close to round where they enter it, right?  my idea is to
> mill a step in each port for a tube to sit in.  have the tubes go right
> through the plate that bolts to the trough and weld them to it.

Well you just gotta see the thing to believe how silly the intake
"design" is. I know little about performance engine design; but this is
in another class of design, literally. The "flaws" (by today's
standards) are obvious.

When I get the head cleaned out I'll photograph it all. I can light the
ports from inside without valves in it etc.

I'm not making fun of Nash's design. I mean, the design is from the
30's, really. You can practically SEE the carved wooden blocks that made
up the mold for this head, and especially the block. Everything is
rectangular! 90 degrees here, to 90 there, square this, square that.
We're talking close to a century ago in engineering terms.

It's increasingly clear to me, the stuff that made for the AMC merger.
Nash seems to have had great quality, and a history of good solid
design, but by the mid 1950's... a bit backward and stodgy, though high
quality. Not good for then-modern marketing, but just great from a "fix
an old car" point of view!

I didn't get the heads disassembled for drop-off today, but I will
Thursday.

> " EFI would solve it all.
>
> add injectors as required...

Yeah, the top plate/trough business would be easier than average to
hack, and if the trough were only air supply, fuel distribution problems
would disappear.