Re: [Amc-list] pre-64 American (Nash) suspension

Davis Martin wrote:
> So where is the best place to get replacement parts and what do they usually cost. I am not talking about already rebuilt stuff for big $ I would like to do them myself. Are the bearings and bushings available at a [parts store or is it amc vendor only stuff?

I think everyone calls Galvin's, Parts Depot, etc. Bushings are fairly
cheap, many AMC app bushings will fit; the OEM ones have a built-in
depth stop for the press-in, but you can set the depth by measuring. The
replacements are not exact but seem to hold up fine. It looks like
post-1970 AMC bushings would fit top and bottom.

I've got 8000 miles on my home made suspension parts now. I checked it
weekly, then monthly, nothing's loosened etc. I made my own trunnion
bolt with a short chunk of chrome-moly threaded rod from MSC Direct, no
way to know if that's wearing excessively except to remove it, and I
have no reason to do that (or to believe it's wearing badly). It greases
fine.

Fabbing the parts was trivial.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Suspension/

THe page says there's a 'shopping list' for MSC but it's not there. It's
all described though. Just O-rings and that rod.

Of all my AMCs, which all have mostly top-notch suspensions, this one is
the quietest. The Hornets crunch and groan; the Classic lower arm inner
bushings and home-made strut bushings groan. The American is silent and
smooth.