Re: [Amc-list] SCORE!!! (i think??....) Carter YF

Sandwich Maker wrote:

> the other 1bbl amc used some years was a carter yf.  it was around a
> long time; parts shouldn't be difficult.

I don't think the 195.6 was ever delivered with a Carter YF, but it
might fit on there fine. It would be a fine match.

Of course it's screamingly low-performance, but the YF is a great
carburetor. Stone simple, cheap, plentiful, reliable, easy to rebuild.
Easy to adjust. There's a lot of variations (throttle shaft connection,
etc) but AMC used only one base pattern I think. Manual, stove,
electric, electric+stove chokes. They really are set-and-forget carbs.

They have one bad tendency, the screws holding the throttle assembly to
the carb body come loose. It's easy to check -- I think John Elle
pointed this out -- you take the air cleaner off, and simply grab the
carb with two hands and twist it. See if the body rotates slightly.

Somehow, they still run and idle OK, but low speed performance suffers
and sometimes idle is not OK. You have to take the carb off to tighten
them (annually) but that's just a 9/16" open end wrench generally.

Probably I should drill the screws and safety wire them. Star
lockwashers might do it. Don't know what the underlying issue is.