Re: [Amc-list] SCORE!!! (i think??....)

So where is the best place to get replacement parts and what do they usually cost. I am not talking about already rebuilt stuff for big $ I would like to do them myself. Are the bearings and bushings available at a [parts store or is it amc vendor only stuff?

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Good score!!

trunnions: Take the wheel off to get at all the grease fittings. I would
do two things to really check them:

* grease the trunnion bolt, there's a zerk on the bolt head. If grease
will not go in it's likely stuck now, or will be soon!

* If it's GOOD, then when the knuckle goes up and down, the trunnion
bolt should not move relative to the stamped steel ARMS. If it's bad,
the bolt is frozen to the trunnion casting, and the bolt does not turn
in the casting. That's VERY BAD.

To see if you have an easily fixable problem or a huge-a** frozen
trunnion problem, back the nut of the trunnion bolt, or remove it.
Totally safe to do, there's no force on it. Now try to back out the
trunnion bolt. This is also perfectly safe as long as you don't back it
out so much that the far end leaves the arm (that's probably 5 - 6 turns).

If you CAN turn the bolt MORE THAN ONE TURN! you can save it by taking
it all the way out, running a tap through the hole, cleaning it all up,
reassembling, greasing twice a year. YOu'll need to get a spring
compressor to do that but othrewise you'd be OK.

The lower trunnion can fail also, from severe neglect, but it doesn't
have the lube problem the upper does so it's likely it survived OK and
if not, it's not a big deal to change.