Re: [Amc-list] Rust/metal prep.... AGAIN!

Re: [Amc-list] Rust/metal prep.... AGAIN!

I've been very happy with Picklex 20 for treating rust. It also helps
cut down on welding spatter if you need to fix any rust.

You'll need to rough up the panel before you apply filler. Follow the
manufacturer's instructions for surface prep with the filler you use.
Picklex 20 will not interfere with the filler bonding to the base panel.

Unless you are going to store the car in a fairly dry environment before
painting, just using primer is a mistake. I've been pretty happy with
using DupliColor spray cans for primer and paint as I've made repairs.
The only problem is that you'll probably have to remove all of it before
the final paint so I'd hold off on final body work until you sand it off
for paint.

Matt

On 7/12/2008 1:01 AM, A Griffiths spouted this sage advice:
> What do you guys like to put on bare metal before body filler?
>
> What is the consensus on treating surface rust and filling the pits?
>
> Anyone have a suggestion on a decent, *inexpensive* primer that I can
> put on the car until I get it painted a few months later?

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon