Re: [Amc-list] Rust/metal prep.... AGAIN!

Re: [Amc-list] Rust/metal prep.... AGAIN!

Everybody had a good answer on this one so far.
The only things I can add are;
1. A good epoxy primer (like PPG Omni AU MP171) (not overly expensive
either) should protect the metal  unlike other primers. It won't allow
moisture to contact the metal. I don't suggest setting it out in the rain
but it should protect the metal if you give it half a chance.  It's a sealer
too, and is self etching for direct application to the bare metal. Get some
reducer also, it works better, although I have used acetone as a reducer and
that works just fine. Reduce it up to 20%.
2. I still recommend using something like PHIX a phosphoric acid based rust
remover, just follow the directions, but make sure to get all the rust out
of the pits.
3. Bondo will stick just fine to Omni AU MP171 and MP175 hardener. I used
PPG techniglaze for the bondo and Chroma-one (Ditzler) single stage paint on
my 70 ram air hood three years ago and have had no troubles with it. I used
an aircraft paint stripper to remove all the old green paint. Rinsed it very
good with acetone. Then I treated and removed any rust with PHIX.
The new stuff is much better to work with than the old stuff, you just have
to get used to using it.
4. Keep it clean while you're working on any paint project. Keep Armor-all
and any other weird silicone compounds as far away from your work as
possible. Ask the paint supplier what else screws up the paint products you
are purchasing and get it the heck out of your shop.

Armand