Re: [Amc-list] Cheap brake conversion

Thomas Garner wrote:
> Ebay Item number: 200238237374
>
>  I saw this thought somebody might be interested. Wonder if this would fit a 64 Rambler Classic...

If those are AMC parts yes it will fit. Is that the Kelsey-Hayes caliper
and bracket? I don't recognize it.

I wuz thinkin about disc brake conversions... the rule of thumb has
been, the single-piston Bendix setup is up there with the 82,83 floating
  setup as first choice.

But those parts really are not common anymore, and not really easy to
find, and no longer cheap.

The Scarebird kit is probably smartest at this point, but I've not done
it. Yet.

The one I would have not used in the past, now I don't think I'd
hesitate at all if I had the brackets etc -- the 70's Kelsey-Hayes
setup. Unless I'm missing something, it's a fine system. The calipers
and pads are still readily available, the main problem is that rotors
are expensive ($100 each), and heavy (no issue on a street car though).

Well so what? NONE of this stuff is cheap any more! 'Cept the parts
Scarebird uses.

I don't think I'll use AMC disc brake setups anymore for retrofits. Even
if I get one cheap from a U Pull It trip I'll likely sell it on eBay --
and buy the Scarebird adapter.