Re: [Amc-list] Anybody have a 1965 (one year only) Exhaust manifold for

Re: [Amc-list] Anybody have a 1965 (one year only) Exhaust manifold for the 195.6 OHV?

Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Found a shop that will check out my cracked exhaust manifold to see if
> they can weld it. It's cracked at the forward ear - so I'm not holding
> my breath. Also have a '64 exhaust manifold as backup - but that would
> require swapping out the downpipe for one with a three stud flange.

Is it a "functional" crack, or just the ring where the bolt grips it?
Eg. does it cause a gas leak?

Mine's nipped off the edge of the flange, so where the bolt goes through
the "O" is now a "C". I used to put the broken piece under the bolt so
that it would pull flat but I lost it, and just use two stacked washers
to spread the load. It seals well and will last.

But unsightly. I assume yours has a crack somewhere that matters...

But between you, and that guy looking for the three-twos or was it
two-threes sound, I've been mulling over in my head (not in my wallet or
calendar :-) three downpipes from three simple steel flanges, with three
small resonators like Cherry Bombs, all three exiting before the rear
wheel on the driver's side. Kool! Three small-motorcycle style exhausts...

Might look up just how it is that exhaust systems are tuned. I think it
wants to be series-resonant at some broad targer powerband RPM. Can't be
that hard (when the requirements are low :-)