Re: [Amc-list] Charity Projects In General

Re: [Amc-list] Charity Projects In General

I think that everyone who has had part in this project felt a great
sense of relief when it finally got moved on to the next place.   The
projects start out in an organization with an abundance of the best of
intentions and by the time the third project work date comes along
people seem to find something better to do with their time.

First you think you have a car that is good enought to do the project
with and then when you get things apart and take a good look you seem to
find more and more problems that need to be resolved.  Many times you
find previous bodywork that wasn't properly done.  Did I say many times?
I mean most times...  So a guy figures he can handle what he was told
needed to be done but then he later sees that he can't do a proper job
for what actually the job ends up being...

Yup, a lot of us have been there.  What the heck... we do what we can.
If we have the money and can afford to have somebody work on the project
and do the meticulous work and get paid for it then maybe you can get a
near perfect restoration.  But even then it's an iffy proposition.

We can generally come up with something that looks great but too often
it isn't as tight and tough as when it was near new.   On a club project
we had some years ago we thought we had a decent Javelin to restore and
raffle and we wound up with one member supplying another base body so we
"re-bodied"  that sucker and discarded the original frame and body
damaged carcass.  So we did finally end up with a straight frame and
body to work with.   It was another educational experience.  It was sure
a nice '70 Javelin with a 232 and 3 speed stick.  Plain Jane and Snow
white and economical driver, and nice...  We had pictures in a couple of
our newsletters Oct 1999 and Jan 2000 (see below).

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/classicamx/jan2000/jan2000.htm
Several pictures of our raffle Javelin.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/classicamx/oct1999/oct1999.htm
Several more pictures...
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/classicamx/index.htm   Classic AMX
Club of Portland Page.

I suppose we were lucky to finally have something to raffle off.  It
wound up working several people nearly to death.  So after 9 years, many
thanks to Dan and Bobbi Hoops and Jeff and Vicki Duval.  What a project
that was.
Ralph Ausmann  -  Hillsboro, OR - > http://mysite.verizon.net/res79g4m