Re: [Amc-list] '71 DJ point of interest

You don't have to climb in there, if the starter is on the right side (driver's side on a DJ!) it's the "big bell" and if it's on the left side (normal US driver's side) it's the "small bell". Starter moved with the bell change.

--------------
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 20:12:05 -0700
From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>

My son's DJ has either a 232 or early 258 (maybe 199?). Starter is on the passenger's side and it had a BW auto, so I have to climb in there and see if it's the small early bell or later one (trans was pulled for rebuild. They hosed the PO for $1500 on the rebuild and now he has the trans up for $200 since it won't fit his '81) I'm hoping it's the low bell, maybe with a special starter (wouldn't that be a kick for early motor trans upgrades?)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"