Re: [Amc-list] If you were me..

" From: "oldcars@xxxxxxxxx" <oldcars@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" OK, I have had a fair amount of good luck in finding cars, but now it is
" time to do someting with them
"
" #1 - 81 Concord wagon, good body, 4 cyl 4 speed. Clutch went up some time
" ago and the pedal went down and is stuck there. NOBODY seems to have the
" clutch master cylinder, although the slave cylinder is the same as a Jeep.
" Honestly the 4 cyl is a little weak for the car but it is manageable. The
" engine runs quite well. Pretty sure it has a 3.73 rear.

this motor is the pontiac 'iron puke'.  it has its problems but lack
of speed equipment isn't one of them.  lots you can do just with
later-year junkyard parts.  also fairly sure most were geared pretty
tall for mileage, and that would partly explain why it felt 'weak'.

how hard would it be to hack mounting for the jeep clutch master?

" #2 - 75 Gremlin, drove it home from near Baltimore (over an hour on the
" []
" am afraid this one has rust that is beyond repair. Its drivetrain is a good
" old 232 1-barrel with a 150-T trans. Not sure what the axle ratio is but I
" believe it is either 3.31 or 3.73.

more likely to be in the 2s, 2.73 or -maybe- 3.08.

" #3 - 64 American wagon. Hasn't been driven since about 1988. Flathead 6
" with T96 3 speed, accelerator linkage is messed up. No clue on axle ratio.
"
" So...looking at the first 2 cars, I have a great drivetrain in one and a
" good body in the other. I guess I will need to move over the crossmember to
" move the 232 and 3 speed into the Concord, and of course it would mean no
" way to get it through smog tests so it would always have to be registered
" as an antique. It looks like I would have to modify the shifter hole since
" they don't match up perfectly. The Grem has a multi-pattern bell so I do
" know it has holes for a T96 but doubt it would work for the SR4 and anyway
" it is the 4-cyl version. I had bought a bell for the 6cyl SR4/T4/T5, but
" not sure I would want to pay the cost of a T5, and I am not sure that the
" internal clutch parts from the 150T would work with any other trans.

t150 clutch parts will work perfectly with a mustang 5.0 t5; the t150
is a ford 3sp toploader.  the pressure plate is amc-generic and afaik
fits back to early-'60s 196s at least.  you could also swap the t150
for a 4sp ford toploader.

the multipattern grem bell -should- have an sr4/t4/t5 pattern on it,
along with t14/t96, t150, and possibly t18.

are you sure it's a t150?  i understood that while other amcs got it in
'75, the last t14s were run out in gremlins as late as '76.  could the
grem be later?

i wasn't aware there was any difference between 4 and 6 cyl amc sr4s.

you may only have to swap motor mounts into the concord, not the whole
grem crossmember.

" So, should I merge the two?
"
" That would open up another possibility, since I am not too fond of the idea
" of the flathead (although it ran well when parked). Since the American
" wagon is much lighter than the Concord wagon, the Iron Duke should do
" better there. The question would be whether I could get the 1964 clutch
" internals to work in the bell from the 81 2.5, and also whether I could
" modify the 2.5 liter clutch housing to work with the T96 - it looks like at
" least a couple of the transmission housing front bolts would line up; not
" sure whether the center hole for the input shaft would be the same. The T96
" is already in place and working, and anyway I know where I can get a brand
" new (open driveshaft) T96 with OD from a Studebaker parts vendor, so I have
" a built-in upgrade path.

i'd be pleasantly surprised if the 4-cyl bell counted a t14/t96 pattern
amongst its assortment, but as it mounted the same trannies as the 6
with multipattern bell it should be the right depth.

the center hole is -not- right; the t150/t177 takes 4.85", the sr4/t4/t5
is 4.64", but the car t14/t96 is only 4.25".  [jeep t14s are 4.64"]
you'd need to do something about the pilot bushing too; the sr4/t4/t5
pilot is 0.590" but the t96 is 0.750".

could you run the 4-cyl -and- sr4 in the american?  i don't know where
the shifter falls in the sr4, but in the t4/t5 the trick is to use a
s10 extension case to move the shifter as far fwd as possible.

you might be able to use a complete s10 bell and t5, as they also had
the 2.5 4-cyl.

" I saw a Car Craft article (URL is
" http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/116_0703_rambler_american/photo_01.html
" ) where they swapped a Gremlin cross member into a 67 American. So, I
" figure that the 4-cyl crossmember would work in the 64 American.

common wisdom is that '64-up american through concord/spirit
crossmembers are interchangeable.  this might extend to tranny
crossmembers also.

with the recent thread on de-4wd-ing an eagle, perhaps the possibility
opens up for a 4wd american with factory parts...  and really -big-
flares!