Re: [Amc-list] Darn exhaust manifold bolts!

The ratcheting wrenches may not fit because the heads are a bit larger than a normal wrench. I use a six point box end for the tight places. 12+ point sockets I don't even buy any more -- they strip too easy especially on a slightly worn bolt.  You might need an offset wrench, but I'm pretty sure mine is a standard six point box on one end, open end on the other. Those are the best! You can take the next size up box end and slip it over the open end to make the wrench longer (like a cheater bar) and get those really tight bolts!

-----------
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:42:29 -0400
From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

But just how in the heck!!!!!! do you reach the bolts that are
obstructed by the exhaust manifold? My 9/16" 1/2" drive socket is too
long, bummer. I tried a 9/16" open end, and it's starting to strip.

Are the 6 point ratcheting wrenches any good? I'm thinking I need a
good 6 point box wrench with a long handle. Is that the trick?

I was thinking of wimping out and bringing it in to a shop - but I
KNOW I can do this with minimal hassle. So - anyone use 6 point 9/16"
ratcheting wrenches? Are they strong enough? Any good ideas so I don't
strip the bolts?

This is a '65 195.6 OHV engine. Looks kind of tight towards the back,
but looks doable.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"