Re: [Amc-list] leaded gas WHOA guess I won't be doing this any more

Armand Eshleman wrote:
> Just found this blog
>
> http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0606_sf_high_octane_fuel/index.html
>
> and it was enlightening. I wasn't aware that there is a law that restricts
> using leaded fuel in street legal autos.
>
> Rambler mentality says we don't need a $25,000 fine !!!!!

Oh yeah, lead additives are pretty toxic, so that's not surprising.
There's no reason to run exotic fuels in a street car (except fun :-)
and I'd think the cost alone would stop you from commuting to work on it!

I have never seen any evidence that this part, below, is true:

  "Lead also acts as a lubricant, thus lead substitutes can be helpful
in pre-1973 engines that do not have hardened exhaust valve seats; a
lead substitute will help the seat from wearing excessively. "

This idea has been parrotted since the day no-lead and low-lead gas was
introduced; it was a big fear, reasonable at the time, but as far as I
can see, proven insignificant.