Re: [Amc-list] replacing brake lines?

I'd recomend doing it yourself if possible.
Costs on brake lines are hard to gauge as you have som many other things that can need done.
Wheel cylinders.
Master cylinder
Junction blocks etc:

I'd start by getting a can of PB blaster, Kroil or another really GOOD pnetrating oil NOW.
Roll under the car and spray EVERY connection possible.
Then go in the house and mull things over for as long as you wish, maybe spritz them again in a few hours, days, weeks.
Once you've finished thinking on it get some standard line wrenches.
The you can begin removing the lines. Once you've got the lines out you can take them in and use them for a map to buy premade replacement lines and a tubing bender.
   If you take your time you can do this. Read online, study what needs done.
There are many people here who can answer the needed questions as they arise.
Even if you mess up a few things the end cost will be far lower then the shop.
Replace the hoses too!
The usual problems are frozen lines in the wheel cylinders on the rear.

If you are dead set to have a shop do it look for someone who likes old cars.
Ask around at a car show or older local shop.
Find a shop who is willing to invest enough time and not be bothered if it takes a few days cause the part was not right the first time!

Oh, don't get flusterd. I bought my 69 when my youngest was about 18 months.
He is now 15 1/2 and my oldest just graduated from H.School.  Time passes, but the American waited when I needed it to!
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: adam young <adamjyoung70@xxxxxxxxxxx>