Re: [Amc-list] replacing brake lines?

I'm with Mark -- do it yourself! It's a pretty straightforward job. The
hard parts are: getting frozen nuts loose; doing your own flare ends;
bending line without kinking.

I've done entire brake systems using off-the-shelf stock lengths and
couplers, and no flaring tool. It costs more, but the lines are pretty
cheap. You can do it incrementally. If you need to do a 16" section,
say, and can only get 18 r 24 inch length, you can make a loop or "U" to
take  up the slack.

I find it simpler and easier to bend line by hand, without any tool. If
you kink it, eg. bend it flat, it's ruined -- you have to cut it out,
you can't straighten it without damage. Bend it slightly and slowly,
tubing in hand, thumbs end to end, bend a tiny bit at a time, slide the
tubing through your hands -- check, bend, check, bend... go slow.

Fittings should be tight, but not too tight. The nuts are small on 1/8"
OD tubing, it's easy to deform it. Personally, I assemble it all loose
then go back and tighten last.

When you are done, fill it, bleed it, press the pedal hard for 20
seconds, then go put your finger below every single joint -- it it
weeps, tighten it a bit. I use spray cleaner and a dry rag to make it
spotless, and check again. Likely you'll have one or two that leak if
you're conservative on tightening.