Re: [Amc-list] Shock absorbing goodness!

Re: [Amc-list] Shock absorbing goodness!

It's true! It's true!!!! Shock absorbers do make a difference in
braking. Who'da thunk it?

My son and I decided to hit the front shock absorbers today. We left
the car on the ground, wheels on the ground. I wouldn't have done that
without everyone's suggestions! (a good ramp would have made it a lot
more accessible. I need to look for a man's ramp, not a toy ramp!)

Well, the top bolts were easy. The bottom bolts were difficult. I
figured I'd use a strap wrench to hold the shock absorber from
twisting. Yeah, right. My son nosed around the garage and found the
slip joint pliers. Just the thing to hold the shock while taking off
the 9/16" bolt.

The old bushings for the shock absorbers were in really bad shape.
That should tell me something, but I'm ignoring it anyway.

New shock absorbers went in nice and easy. A little tough compressing
them while installing them, but it worked out just fine. Took a
victory lap around the neighborhood, then out on the road. It did much
better over the bumps, and didn't seem to float anymore. Figured I'd
brake hard a few times - and it was much straighter! I didn't believe
for a second it would make a difference, but it did.

Thinking about strut rod bushings tomorrow. Giving the cracked exhaust
manifold thoughtful looks, but haven't picked up a gasket for it yet.
Heck, I might forget about both and just grill burgers and have a cold
beer.

Anyway - the car drives a LOT better with new shock absorbers all around.