[Amc-list] Gasoline stinks!

What else is new.

It was a little sad, and a bit exciting, when the Classic wagon was
idling with a Carter YF and five gallons of gas in the tank.

Took longer than expected (duh), besides installing the tank I had to
run lines (apparantly I removed it all those years ago) (it's odd to
have a car so long that I forget what was done and when). But I ran two
lines, the second to the return line I added for the Howell TBI system
I'll add later this summer. No sense doing an annoying job twice. I
bought a plain old fuel pump from NAPA, they had nearly nothing
available, but they had one for a "79 Concord 258". Damn AMC, they
changed fuel pump inlet/outlet configurations every year it seems, the
pumps all interchange, I think, 'cept the ins and outs move around.
I've had a rebuilt YF on the shelf since the AMO National in Phoenix,
2004? 2003?, I bought from some vendor for... $1. V8 stuff, $$$$,
Rambler six stuff, $.

I found out why it was so cheap... ran and idled just fine. A few
minutes later, liquid gas all over the place. Checked float and needle
valve, all's well. Put my fuel pressure gauge on it -- it pegged the
meter at > 10psi! Well that's no good. Off it comes.

I had a spare, rebuilt fuel pump for a 195.6ohv, with vacuum pump. I had
a non-rebuilt core/spare from who knows what -- long story short, I can
tell you with some authority that the only difference -- other than
fittings and features -- between a 195.6 fuel pump and ones from a 64-up
six is the *lever*. I pulled the lever and its spring from the core
pump, stuck it in the rebuilt 195.6 pump, and lo! fuel plus precious
vacuum for my wipers. It puts out 5.5 PSI. Off we go!

Oops, carb still runneth over.

Off with the top again, the bowl fuel level seems OK... hmm... oh look,
no check ball/check needle for the squirter! So once it got squirted and
the well filled up, the slight siphon even at idle sucked fuel through
it. Pulled a squirter (accellerator pump) weighted needle from a junk
YF, dropped it in, closed it up... success.

Whatever.

Am I crazy, or is 12+ PSI unreasonable on a 79 Concord six? Those had
BBDs, right? 10psi sounds like asking for needle and seat problems. It
also held pressure for > 5 minutes; most modern pumps have a tiny
pinhole so that they bleed down (into the intake) after a minute or two.
Believe me back to NAPA it goes in the AM, along with the... FLOOR MATS
that DONT WORK!

How do you screw up a !@!@!$!! floor mat?!! Well someone figured out how
-- make it so thin, and from a themoplastic that gets soft as a tortilla
when warm, that's how. Your feet tangle in it. $15 for crap.

Tomorrow is maiden voyage time, when I untangle ignition timing changes
and all that rot, and see if it catches fire, etc. I think I'll drive
down to the dog beach (with dogs of course). Next weekend we're taking a
400 mile trip to a big event in the Arizona desert, it's gotta be ready
for that!

Gasoline, eh? LP was so much nicer under the hood! No leaks, cracked
hoses, stupid paper-gasketed carburetors, ...

For now, I just stuck the Carter YF on the old, tired LP motor, since
it's got
a 1bbl cast iron manifold and all that stock stuff. I have another '70
motor
which I'll rebuild and stick in later. One thing at a time...