Re: [Amc-list] Water Powered Engine now slightly OT

--- Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Solar/wind/nuclear electric beats it all 100 times
> over, yet that would
> upset the oil industries (solar/wind) and the rest
> of us politically
> (nuclear).

Well, it's not the nuclear reactors that make people
nervous really, it's the nuclear waste created,
transported and stored.  Perhaps Las Vegas could be
transplanted to someplace like Atlantic City and the
whole state of Nevada could be used for nuclear waste
storage.  Call it environmental triage.

> Don't overlook that the spectacularly performing
> semiconductor industry
> (transistors... ICs... computers in phones...) have
> brought solar cell
> tech to nearly 30% efficiency routinely -- it goes
> up about 2% a year
> now -- they're way past the point of
> cost-effectiveness for mass
> deployment. There's no will for it though.

Passive solar is gaining/will gain popularity rapidly.
 The company I work for has a proposal on the table
for installation of a passive solar collection system
using today's technology which will reduce our power
demand by about 80 percent and have a five to eight
year payback.  Those economics make sense right now,
at PRESENT utility rates.  No inflation of utility
rates was invorporated into the proposal.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA