[Amc-list] Mobilgas Economy Run - more stuff

[Amc-list] Mobilgas Economy Run - more stuff

Okay, so I've been fixated on the Mobilgas Economy runs. I found a
scan of a '51 pamphlet at The Old Car Manual project pages. Link is
here:
http://www.socalhet.org/newsletters/06-12.pdf

Also found some stuff from the SoCal Hudson Essex Terraplane club.
Seems they do an Economy run.
Basic club info on the run is here:
http://www.socalhet.org/newsletters/06-11.pdf

A newsletter with results is here. Check out page 3, results:
http://www.socalhet.org/newsletters/06-12.pdf

>From what I've read, cars were bought off the showroom floor and given
2500 miles to break in. Cars were checked in at night, but some
interesting break-in procedures happened during the day. When doing
the run, there was a driver (or 2?) and a person in the back seat
keeping track. The back seat dude was swapped from car to car to make
sure he didn't make friends with the drivers and allow cheating. His
job was to make sure the car stayed within speed and time limits
(there were penalties for cheating).

Think I'll write to Hemmings and ask for more info. It would be cool
to get the whole scoop. Perhaps SoCal HET might have pointers on
running one of these events.