Re: [Amc-list] Mobilgas Economy Run - more stuff

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Okay, so I've been fixated on the Mobilgas Economy runs. I found a
> scan of a '51 pamphlet at The Old Car Manual project pages. Link is
> here:
> http://www.socalhet.org/newsletters/06-12.pdf

Wow, that sounds like a fun run, actually, it's nice terrain to
drive if if you've never -- some of my absolutely favorite parts
of the US to drive. In summer, it's treacherous. In November,
it would be quite pleasant.

THat motel signed "ROYS" is in Amboy CA, a privately-owned town
(was for sale on eBay some years back) and has unfortunately
no services. It's on a loop south of I40, through the Bristol
Mountains that has the dubious distinction of being the 'target'
for a Project Plowshare idea to use 'atomic bombs' to blast
through the mountains for highway building. Luckily that all
failed. (A few Project Plowshare, aka "boys with bombs", did
'go off'... Gasbuggy in Farmington NM created a clear well
of natural gas -- that ended up too radioactive to use (oops)
and contaminated the entire area. Damn that technology!

Anyhoo those Hudsons are getting good mileage!!

> A newsletter with results is here. Check out page 3, results:
> http://www.socalhet.org/newsletters/06-12.pdf
>
> From what I've read, cars were bought off the showroom floor and given
> 2500 miles to break in. Cars were checked in at night, but some
> interesting break-in procedures happened during the day. When doing
> the run, there was a driver (or 2?) and a person in the back seat
> keeping track. The back seat dude was swapped from car to car to make
> sure he didn't make friends with the drivers and allow cheating. His
> job was to make sure the car stayed within speed and time limits
> (there were penalties for cheating).
>
> Think I'll write to Hemmings and ask for more info. It would be cool
> to get the whole scoop. Perhaps SoCal HET might have pointers on
> running one of these events.

A very timely project for you! Or, you could do the research,
and write an article for them!!